Diamonds are known to be a girl’s best friend, and like any best friend they also require care and attention – it isn’t a one way relationship! Their everlasting shine comes down to the TLC you give your stone.
Diamonds may be the hardest natural substance on earth, and yet something as simple as the oil and dirt from your finger can make this superhero lose its sparkling appeal and dull your look. The same goes for all fine jewellery (Gold, Silver, Platinum, Gemstones, or Diamonds).
The general rule is to avoid constantly touching your jewellery, as the oil from your skin transfers to the stone and eventually over time, builds a film on the stone which makes it appear cloudy or dirty.
But don’t worry - all is not lost just yet. If you are like us, and love to fidget with your ring or bracelet, these are a quick list of do’s and don’t to taking care of your fine jewellery that will keep your sparkle sparkling all day long.
First, here’s what you should be avoiding with your gold and diamond jewellery:
- Your jewellery should be the last thing you put on, and the first thing you take off every day. Avoid having your jewellery in direct contact with hairspray, face creams or lotions, the oil and grease can easily stick to the stones. It is a good idea to avoid perfume touching your jewellery too
- Never expose jewellery to household cleaning products. You may want to wear your engagement ring all the time, but if your makeup can dull your stone, imagine what harsh chemicals can do to them
- Do not use toothpaste or baking soda to polish your jewellery. Fine jewellery is exceptionally delicate and requires a lot of care when cleaning. Chemicals like acetone, chlorine, bleach and other abrasive substances like baking powder and toothpaste will damage your diamond and the gold beyond repair.
- This one probably goes without saying - Do not wear fine jewellery in the pool or in the sea - but we still thought we should include it in the list anyway
And now let’s move onto what you should be doing, and how best to properly care for your fine jewellery:
- Keeping the spark alive is fairly simple - Keep them clean by soaking your jewellery in warm soapy water for a few minutes every so often, and gently scrub it with a soft toothbrush. Make sure to clean the back also (as dirt easily accumulates there). Once done, dry them on a soft lint free cloth.
- When putting away and storing your jewellery, avoid putting a number of items in the same box. When diamonds comes in contact with another – they can scratch and damage each other
- Pick up jewellery by the band. With diamond rings in particular, it is always a good idea to pick it up by its band, and not the stone or setting. It will help keep the diamond secure in its setting, and avoid oil and dirt build up on the stone.
It does not require a lot of work. Just a few simple steps and your jewellery will shine as bright as you do 🙂
Leave a comment